The world is changing and so are we. The new technology has helped people to come closer but there is one thing that often restricts this and that is ‘language’. It is said that language is not a barrier, but I believe that it can be a bridge if you have a good knowledge of it.
Many people learn different languages because It has different benefits. People who have command over more than one language have a better memory, better listening skills, and problem-solving skills. They even have critical thinking and the ability to multitask.
It also helps us to understand different cultures and helps us to grow as a person.
To learn a new language you can follow these steps:
- Set goals for yourself. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Avoid stress and divide your lessons into smaller parts. Having smaller goals narrows your focus and increases productivity. Set daily or weekly goals and strictly follow them. If you will not be disciplined that this will get really tiresome and frustrating for you.
- Challenge yourself, learn new things every day. By challenging yourself you will know your limit and your strengths
- Learn the proper words. A language has usually a very large vocabulary, but you need not learn them all. You should be aware of what you have to learn and what you don’t. For example, the English language has millions of words, but you don’t need to learn all of them to master the language. Around, 1000 words of English comprise 90 percent of it. Similarly, you need to be focused on the necessary part, and you can easily master it.
- Study smart. Well, this is the key to master a language, you need to be smart because only hard work will not help. Use flashcards, or read books in that language.
- The practice is the thing that you need to work most on. You can’t just learn a language without actually practicing it. Use the language in your daily.
- Listen to audios, podcasts, or watch TV shows in that language it will help you to get used to that language. You can also join chat groups of the natives on a social media platform. No one can teach other than a native and this will remove the hesitation in you.
- Test yourself. Keep revising and correcting yourself. You need to stay updated as language changes with time. Every year new words are added in the dictionary or new slang gets popular, you need to stay updated to all that.