December 7, 2021

Image credit: BuzzFeed News

Travis Scott and the organisers of Astroworld have been sued for $750 million

More than 125 people who were injured in the catastrophic Astroworld music festival crush have filed a $750 million (£556 million) lawsuit against rapper Travis Scott and other organisers.

The family of Axel Acosta, one of the ten victims, is among those who have filed a lawsuit in the United States. It alleges that despite reports of “lifeless bodies being paraded through the audience in full view of the stage,” Scott and guest star Drake continued to perform.

Scott stated that he was unaware of the catastrophe until he exited the stage. Last week, the rapper expressed his distress over the tragedy of November 5 in Houston, Texas, and offered to assist any impacted family.

“My heart breaks for the families and friends of those who have died, as well as everyone else who is suffering, Drake said.”

Festival organisers Live Nation, Apple, which streamed the show, Scott’s record labels Epic and Cactus Jack, the operators of Houston’s NRG Park venue, and organisations that supplied security and medical services are also named in documents filed in the United States.

According to the complaint, “Acosta was crushed by the incited, riotous, and out-of-control throng and lay dying for about 40 minutes while the music continued.”

According to the statement, neither Travis Scott nor his handlers, managers, agents, hangers-on, promoters, organisers, or sponsors cared enough about Axel to make even a rudimentary effort to keep him and the other concertgoers safe.

“Could just never predict the intensity of the scenario while performing,” Scott posted on Instagram after the show.

Live Nation said, “We will continue to support and assist local authorities in their ongoing investigation, so that both the fans who went and their families may get the answers they seek and deserve.”

Other defendants did not respond to requests for comment from the American press. Dozens of lawsuits have already been filed by survivors and families of those who died. A lawyer, Tony Buzbee, said he intends to file a new complaint with 100 additional victims soon.